Ruth M. Hammond Collection of Architectural Drawings - Chester County History Center

RUTH M. HAMMOND COLLECTION OF ARCHITECTURAL DRAWINGS

Collection Title: Ruth M. Hammond Collection of Architectural Drawings

Collection Number: 239

Dates of Collection: 1952-1988 (bulk)

Box Numbers: 169 Folders

RepositoryChester County Historical Society

Project Archivist: E. Richard McKinstry, Project Archivist

Biography:

Ruth M. Hammond was born on June 4, 1912 and died, age 94, on November 17, 2006. In her youth, Hammond wanted to be an artist, but her parents thought she should become a physical education teacher. Hammond went to college in New Haven, Connecticut, met people who were studying architecture at Yale, and became interested in architecture as a profession. She later attended Columbia University for three years and then the University of Michigan for two years.

Following college and university, Hammond was an apprentice with architect Edmund G. Krimmel in Philadelphia for three years. Krimmel (ca. 1895-1953) earned his B.S. in Architecture in 1917 from the University of Pennsylvania and studied at the Sorbonne in Paris. He was a member of the American Institute of Architects. From the 1930s until his death, Krimmel specialized in publicly funded housing projects and urban redevelopment in the Philadelphia region. He worked in association with other architects, including H. Bartol Register, with whom he designed the Highland Homes Development in Wayne, Pa. for the Public Works Administration, as well as John Lane Evans, James Spear Hatfield, and Lloyd Malkus.

In 1958, Hammond took the state registration exam in advance of practicing architecture on her own. The State Board of Examiners of Architects of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania admitted her to the profession on November 14, 1958. She opened her one-person business in Embreeville, Pa., where she lived, and then in nearby West Chester, where she spent the balance of her career. In West Chester, her office was in the Weaner Building, beginning in 1964, at 100 West Gay Street.

Hammond’s commissions were many and varied. She worked on residences for a number of faculty members and administrators at West Chester University; doctors from Chester County’s medical and dental community; and Chester County developers, especially John Jacob who developed West Chester’s North Hill neighborhood. She also worked on Girl Scout camps, fire houses, municipal garages, stores, buildings for private clubs, and houses of worship. In a newspaper article from 1972, Hammond admitted that “I love the church work.”

Hammond was active in her line of work as a professional associate member of the American Institute of Architects.

Collections Scope:

Hammond’s collection of drawings is included in a database created by the Philadelphia Architects and Buildings Project and managed at the Philadelphia Athenaeum.

Most of the architectural drawings in this collection record Ruth M. Hammond’s work on private residences—non-development and development alike—though commercial buildings, municipal structures, places of worship, and even Girl Scout camps are represented. There are also site or plot plans and maps. The overwhelming number of projects associated with Ruth M. Hammond were in Chester County, Pa.

The inclusive dates of the collection, 1952-1988, are the dates assigned by the Philadelphia Architects and Buildings Project. Related documents date from as early as the 1930s. For example, the collection of drawings relating to The Barclay, a residence for senior citizens in West Chester, Pa., includes plans from 1935 that detail a renovation; Ruth M. Hammond worked on the building in 1961.

Information For Researchers:

  • Access:
    This collection is open to researchers.
  • Acquisition Information:
    Gift of Ruth M. Hammond, January 21, 1998

Collection Arrangement:

Reflecting the organization of Ruth M. Hammond’s office records, this collection is divided into four series:

Series I: Residences (100 folders)
Series II: Non-residential and commercial buildings (27 folders)
Series III: Developments (16 folders)
Series IV: Miscellaneous buildings (26 folders)

Finding aid entries are mostly arranged alphabetically. They start with either a personal or corporate name, the title of the collection together with its date or dates, the number of sheets of drawings, the address of the building, and comments describing the content of collections. In addition, there are biographical or historical sketches of the people, institutions, organizations, or companies featured in Hammond’s records.

Collections Contents:

SERIES I: RESIDENCES

Andress, Charles H.
Residence, 1948.
2 sheets.
Address: 38 North Hill Drive, West Chester, Pa.
One sheet contains plans for the first and second floors and the other shows elevations.
It is not clear that Ruth Hammond was the architect of this residence.
There were two people named Charles H. Andress who lived in West Chester, Pa. It is unclear how they were related. The elder Charles, who died in 1967 and whose list of survivors did not include another Charles, worked as an electrician. The younger Charles was a printer and served as mayor of West Chester.

Arabia, Antonio.
Garden wall, 1965.
2 sheets.
Address: 220 West Gay Street, West Chester, Pa.
Both sheets contain drawings of a garden wall, its gate, and finial details.
Antonio T. Arabia, who died in 1936, was a contractor; his wife, Amelia, who died in September 1961, age 72, owned and operated a grocery store. The Arabias came to West Chester in 1909. Antonio built the Norwood Apartments at 239 West Gay Street where his wife’s store was located. In time, the couple purchased and remodeled apartments and other properties in West Chester.

Avery, Arthur W.
Residence, 1955.
4 sheets
Address: Westtown Township, Pa.
Drawing 1: basement and foundation plan; Drawing 2: floor plan; Drawing 3: elevations (front, rear, west, and east); Drawing 4: plot plan.

Baldwin, William C.
Porch addition, 1959.
7 sheets.
Address: 33 Penn Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Six of the drawings are outside elevations of the Baldwin’s house; one drawing shows a floor plan, railing particulars, and foundation details.
William C. Baldwin might have been the bookseller and owner of Baldwin’s Book Barn.

Barrett, H. J.
Replacement of garage, 1963.
2 sheets.
Address: 38 North Hill Drive, West Chester, Pa.
One sheet shows a garage floor plan and garage loft plan; the other sheet includes elevations of the front and garage end of the Barrett’s house.

Baylor, Mrs. John W.
Proposed residence, 1965.
5 sheets.
Address: 122 East Gay Street, West Chester, Pa.
Includes floor plans and elevations; as well, there are details for living room cabinets and kitchen walls.
The address is puzzling since 122 East Gay Street, West Chester, is a brick downtown building with a store behind a large show window on the first floor, and these drawings depict a suburban residence with a one car garage.

Berry, Dennis W.
Alterations and additions to house, 1984-1987.
29 sheets.
Address: 926 North Hill Drive, West Chester, Pa.
Diverse drawings, including depictions of a bracket for the garage, foundation plans, elevations from various directions, an overall site plan noting the names of owners of neighboring properties, plans of different floors, etc.
In 1981, Dennis W. Berry was named sales service supervisor for the petrochemicals division of ICI Americas Inc., Wilmington, Del.

Boose, Barry and Graham.
Additions to residence, 1981-1982.
22 sheets.
Address: 415 Sunset Hollow Road, West Chester, Pa.
Detailed drawings and elevations show porch and other additions to the house of Barry and Graham Boose. Such particulars as floor plans, the design of attic space, kitchen specifics, foundation plans, etc. are depicted.
Barry Allan Boose (1940-2014) was born in Washington, DC. He studied mechanical engineering at Lehigh University and spent his career with the Philadelphia office of the Trane Company, a manufacturer of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment. His wife Graham (1941-2013) was also born in Washington, DC. She was a project manager in the aerospace/defense industry at Lockheed Martin.

Brewer, James Miller.
Restoration & addition to farmhouse, 1959.
14 sheets.
Address: Marshallton, Chester County, Pa.
Includes details for fireplaces and kitchen walls and cabinets, interior and exterior elevations, floor plans, a garage drawing, entrance details, surveys, etc.
James Miller Brewer is identified by Ruth Hammond as Dr.

Brunen, James J.
Residence, 1958.
1 sheet.
Address: Cedar Hollow Road, Paoli, Pa.
Preliminary drawing of the house’s floor plan.
“To be constructed at Colebrook Farm Homesites, East Caln Township [Pa.].”

Brutscher, George J.
Alterations & additions to residence, 1956.
3 sheets.
Address: New Garden Road, Toughkenamon, Pa.
Floor plan and exterior elevations. The addition to the house seems to have been a bedroom and adjacent bathroom. Includes construction details for the foundation and roofing.
George J. Brutscher was a lawyer in Kennett Square, Pa. He specialized in family law, land development, municipal law, and estate planning. In 1964, he served as President of the Chester County Bar Association.

Buffington, John J.
Proposed alteration to apartment, 1952.
2 sheets.
Address: 218 East King Street, Malvern, Pa.
Two schemata for an eight or nine room apartment in a building that had a store or stores on the first floor and living quarters above.

Butts, Thomas C.
Alterations & addition to residence, 1977.
4 sheets.
Address: Locust Grove Road, Pocopson Township, Pa.
Includes exterior elevations from different directions. The details of the plans are of a first floor kitchen, dining room, and family room and second floor bedrooms, a dressing room, and bathroom.
One drawing is identified as a survey.

Chandler, Richard.
Proposed residence, 1970.
4 sheets.
Address: Romansville, West Bradford Township, Pa.
Floor plans and elevations offering construction details of a one-story house. In addition to the drawings, there are sidebars for electric symbols and building supplies.

Christy, Wayne.
Addition to residence, 1975.
3 sheets.
Address: 409 North Five Points Road, West Goshen Township, Pa.
Two sheets contain floor plans and note construction details. The third sheet shows elevations from different directions.

Clark, Jesse.
Alterations to residence, 1961.
15 sheets.
Address: 20 Penn Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Thirteen drawings on different kinds of paper and two blueprints record the West Chester, Pa. residence of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Clark. Six drawings are labeled preliminary studies, one drawing contains general construction notes, and two drawings are called existing conditions.
One drawing is credited to Annette Yates Maier, a registered architect from Wilmington, Del.

Clement, Thomas, 1884-1968.
Residence, 1956.
12 sheets.
Address: Cedarcroft, Kennett Square, Pa.
Drawings offer a full range of architectural depictions of Mr. and Mrs. Clement’s Kennett Square house, including interior floor plans, elevations, and construction details.
Contractor: Joseph H. Polley, Concordville, Pa.
According to A McSparran History, Thomas Clement lived at Cedarcroft in Kennett Square, Pa. Cedarcroft was the home of author and diplomat Bayard Taylor (1825-1878) from 1859 to 1874. However, the reference to a Cedarcroft address for Thomas Clement might be to a street by that name rather than to the name of Taylor’s estate.
Among these 12 drawings are three showing a Lincoln University, Pa. address and perhaps another project for Thomas Clement.

Cottrell, Edwin B., 1922-
Additions to residence, 1959.
3 sheets.
Address: 40 Penn Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings show floor plans, basement details, and elevations.
Dr. Edwin B. Cottrell was born in Slippery Rock, Pa. and graduated from Slippery Rock State College in 1943. He joined the armed forces during World War II, serving as a pilot in Europe. After the war, Dr. Cottrell received his master’s degree at the University of Pittsburgh and his doctorate at Penn State. He joined the faculty at West Chester State University, remaining on staff until 1980. At West Chester, he was a member of the faculty of the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation. As well, he coached golf, swimming, and tennis. Eventually Dr. Cottrell moved to Pinehurst, N.C and became the head golf coach at Duke University.

Crum, Stephen W., 1956-
Addition to residence, 1988.
7 sheets.
Address: 613 Owen Road, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
These seven sheets of floor plans and elevations provide a detailed look at the house owned by the Crum family. The house was originally built in the late 1940s.
In late 2017, Stephen W. Crum was President of Pow-R-Motion, West Chester, Pa., and had three decades of experience working in the industrial marketplace. He was also a firefighter at Good Will Fire Company.

Dadamo, Vincent.
Residence, 1955.
5 sheets.
Address: Monument Avenue, Malvern, Pa.
Sheet 1: Basement and foundation; Sheet 2: First floor plan; Sheet 3: Instruction to bidders; Sheet 4: Elevations and kitchen details; Sheet 5: Elevations and construction details.
A Vincent M. Dadamo was Adjunct Professor of Law at Penn State University. Before that, he served as senior vice president, general counsel, and corporate secretary to TMG Health, Inc., in King of Prussia, Pa., and from 1999 to 2003 he was senior vice president, general counsel, and corporate secretary to ICT Group in Newtown, Pa.

Daniels, Timothy H., 1946-2015.
Alterations & addition to residence, 1987.
5 sheets.
Address: 130 Sunset Hollow Road, West Chester, Pa.
Floor plans and elevations. A family room and basement underneath were the additions to the house.
Among other positions in a career devoted to childhood education, Dr. Timothy H. Daniels was a Principal, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, and Instruction and Assistant Superintendent for Business Affairs in the Upper Darby School District. He retired as the CEO of Achievement House Cyber Charter School in October 2014.

Davis, Alvin B., 1912-2001.
Alterations & additions, 1958.
3 sheets.
Address: 905 Collins Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Elevations, floor plans, and construction details with a focus on the kitchen.
An Alvin B. Davis was a member of the Health and Physical Education Department at West Chester University. The Social Security death index lists an individual by that name whose last address was West Chester, Pa. and whose life dates were November 11, 1912-May 8, 2001.

De Russy, John C.
Proposed residence, 1986.
2 sheets.
Address: 411 North New Street, West Chester, Pa.
Basement and main living floor plans for a 19th century row house in the center of West Chester, Pa.

De Shong, Dwight.
Addition to split level house, 1957.
10 sheets.
Address: Oak Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Includes a portfolio of four sheets stapled together that depict schemes A and B for the house. Other sheets contain elevations and floor plans.
Construction to be done by Lewis S. Hickman, 111 Delaware Avenue, West Chester, Pa.

Donahue, James F.
Addition to residence, 1957.
11 sheets.
Address: Newark Road, Toughkenamon, Pa.
Elevations, floor plans, cross-sections, foundation plans, and a survey of existing conditions. Some of the sheets are identified as preliminary studies.

Fletcher, Arnold.
Alterations & addition to residence, 1958.
3 sheets.
Address: 23 Penn Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Detailed drawings of the exterior of the Fletcher’s house, as well as foundation, garage, and chimney plans.
Dr. Arnold Fletcher grew up in Upper Darby, Pa. and was a teenage piano prodigy. He studied with Olga Samaroff, a concert pianist and wife of conductor Leopold Stokowski. Dr. Fletcher earned music degrees from Temple University and a doctorate in education from the University of Pennsylvania. He was a professor of music and dean of the faculty at West Chester University when it was a state college. He and his first wife Toni were founding board members of the West Chester Adult Night School. Following his years at West Chester State, Dr. Fletcher was president of the American College of Monaco and vice president of Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, N.J. In the Army during World War II, Dr. Fletcher was with the 11th Armored Division, commanded by Gen. George Patton. He earned a Bronze Start at the Battle of the Bulge and took part in the liberation of the Mauthausen concentration camp in Austria. Dr. Fletcher died in June 2015, age ninety-seven.

Ganges, Herman J., d. 1968.
Alterations & addition to residence, 1956.
1 sheet.
Address: 19 East Miner Street, West Chester, Pa.
Includes exterior elevations and drawings of the second floor and porch.
Howard E. Leslie is recorded as the builder of the house.
Herman J. Ganges was a lifelong resident of West Chester, Pa. He was employed at Wyeth Laboratories and the Chester County Courthouse. His wife was named Melba. Ganges died in 1968, age seventy-six.

Glogau, Richard C.
Layout of kitchen equipment / living room north wall fireplace, 1954.
3 sheets.
Address: 823 Roslyn Avenue, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings show the floorplan of the Glogau’s kitchen (2 sheets) and fireplace details (1 sheet).
William Drayman, builder.
Richard C. Glogau was born in Denver and graduated from the University of Denver. His wife was named Charlotte Louise MacLagan. When Glogau lived in the West Chester, Pa. area he worked for the Dupont Company. In 1967, he was named Vice President of Engelhard Minerals and Metals Company; three years later he became President. Glogau died, age 55, in Princeton, N.J. in 1971.

Gotshall, Irvin E., 1890-1968.
Alterations to barn, 1958.
3 sheets.
Address: Westtown, Pa.
The barn was being converted into a residence. Plans are for the basement and an upper floor where there is living space. Drawings also show exterior elevations. General notes include specifics for plumbing and insulation. Also included is a chart called Room Finish & Work Schedule.
Irvin E. Gotshall was born on March 28, 1890 and died, age 78, on July 6, 1968. His wife, who pre-deceased him, was named Marietta Berry. They were married in Harrisburg, Pa. on July 14, 1913. The couple resided with their family at Meadowcroft Farm in Westtown, Pa. beginning in 1937.

Gowen, George M., Jr.
Breakfast room addition, 1982.
9 sheets.
Address: Gate & Street Roads, Wrest Chester, Pa.
Although these drawings are entitled Breakfast Room Addition, chiefly depicted are views of the outside of the Gowen’s home in multiple elevations.

Hall, John L.
Sunspace addition, 1984.
2 sheets.
Address: Not given.
It is unclear where the sunspace addition was located on the house, though sheets show elevations, a depiction of a post detail, and a depiction of an existing terrace.
A John L. Hall (1918-2010) lived in West Chester, Pa. He was a World War II veteran, graduate of Temple University, and a banker.

Hansen.
Hansen residence, 1988.
2 sheets.
Address: Not given.
Drawings show first and second floor plans sketched on drafting paper of a four bedroom, two and one-half bathroom house. Judging from the look of the handwriting on the sheets, the drawings may not have been done by Ruth M. Hammond.

Hempton, Walter.
Residence, 1955.
6 sheets.
Address: Maple Lane, Kennett Township, Pa.
Sheet 1: Floor plans; Sheet 2: Elevations, details, and stairs; Sheet 3: Elevations and wall sections; Sheet 4: plot plan & sewage disposal, fireplace, and kitchen details; Sheet 5: Heating.
Also included is a time sheet labeled Time on Hempton House.

Holt, Frank J.
Proposed residence, 1954.
7 sheets.
Address: 35 Veronica Road, Suburban Village, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings include floor plans for the basement and two floors, as well as a sheet with an elevation.

Howson, Richard.
Alterations and additions to farmhouse, 1952.
10 sheets.
Address: Coventryville, Pa.
A portfolio of 10 sheets of drawings stapled together. Depictions include floor plans, roof and wall details, interior construction details (wood wainscoting for the living room, for example), and elevations.
Ruth M. Hammond is credited with the drawings, though they came from the architectural practice of Edmund G. Krimmel (ca. 1895-1953) of Philadelphia, where Hammond either worked or apprenticed. Krimmel earned a B.S. in Architecture in 1917 from the University of Pennsylvania and studied at the Sorbonne in Paris. He was a member of the American Institute of Architects. From the 1930s until his death, Krimmel specialized in publicly-funded housing projects and urban redevelopment in the Philadelphia region. He worked in association with other architects, including H. Bartol Register, with whom he designed the Highland Homes Development in Wayne, Pa. for the Public Works Administration, and John Lane Evans, James Spear Hatfield, and Lloyd Malkus. Information on Krimmel taken from the Philadelphia Architects and Buildings web site.

Huffman, Wilmer B., 1907-1992.
Proposed apartment layout, 1980-1981.
5 sheets.
Address: 225 North Whitford Road, West Whiteland Township, Pa.
Designs for a two-floor apartment with floor plans and elevations.
Also a sheet labeled Site Plan, which shows the layout of the property of W. B. Huffman.
W. B. Huffman’s wife was Amy H. Huffman, 1913-1998.
On three of the drawings the last name of the property owner is Hoffman, but the drawings were alphabetized by Ruth Hammond using the Huffman spelling.

Jackson, Ester M. and Dorothy I.
Residence, 1959.
1 sheet.
Address: 37 Penn Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Floor plan for a one-story home plus garage. Also includes an “elevation of kitchen wall toward breakfast room.”
The builder was Robert Jacob.

Jacob, John C.
Residence, 1961.
2 sheets.
Address: Story Road, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Floor plan for a four bedroom one-story house; front and end elevations; together with fireplace, fence, and cornice details.

Jensen, George, Jr.
Proposed renovation, 1981.
9 sheets.
Address: Meadowcroft Farm, Westtown, Pa.
Highly detailed drawings and specifications for a residence located to the south of West Chester, Pa. Such particulars as the building’s HVAC system, wall construction, cross-sections, the appearance of stair balusters, etc. offer visuals of renovation details.
One sheet is blank.
Drawings credited to Ruth M. Hammond and Ken Baxter.

Jones, H. Michael.
Remodeling of residence, undated.
15 sheets.
Address: Embreeville, Pa.
In addition to floor plans and elevations of the outside of the residence from different directions, collection includes schedules for windows, doors, and room finishes.

Kane, G. Gibbs.
Porch addition to residence, 1960
5 sheets.
Address: Thorndale Road, Marshallton, Pa.
Drawings show elevations from different directions and include specifics on railing details, as well as exterior gutter, fascia, and plank moulding particulars.
G. Gibbs Kane, Jr. was a graduate of Princeton University and the author of Natural Gas and Petroleum and the Important Part Played by Natural Gas in the Recovery and Production of Petroleum. He was also president of the West Chester Fish and Game Association and an ardent fly fisherman.

Kent, Richard B.
Proposed residence, 1970.
6 sheets.
Address: North New Street Road, West Goshen Township, Pa.
All of the six drawings are labeled Preliminary Study. Drawings show floor plans for the basement and first and second floors and a front elevation.
Richard B. Kent is identified as Dr.

Kerwin, Mrs. Charles M.
Alterations to interior rear part of building, 1956.
9 sheets.
Address: 33 South High Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings include rough sketches, preliminary surveys, a variety of suggested changes for the same spaces, floor plans, and exterior elevations.
Jane E. Kerwin was married to Dr. Charles M. Kerwin (1893-1955), a West Chester, Pa. surgeon, civic leader, and sportsman. He practiced medicine at 33 South High Street, the address of the building depicted in these drawings. A medical corpsman during World War I and a 1917 graduate of the medical school at the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Kerwin’s career began in West Chester in 1921.

Lasko, Harry.
Preliminary plan residence, 1960.
8 sheets.
Address: 315 North Franklin Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings include floor plans and elevations for a modern one story house.
Harry Lasko was president of his family’s business, Lasko Metal Products, a home comfort products company established by his father.

Limberger, William A., Jr.
Alterations to residence, 1957-1962.
22 drawings.
Address: 1117 Birmingham Road, West Chester, Pa.
Collection of drawings includes preliminary studies, interior and exterior elevations, surveys, room plans, architectural details, a plot plan of Limberger’s property, etc.
William A. Limberger, Jr., the son of a World War II decorated physician, graduated from West Chester High School, Franklin and Marshall College, and the veterinary school of the University of Pennsylvania. He opened his veterinary practice in July 1962 at 1117 Birmingham Road, West Chester, Pa., where he also lived. Dr. Limberger married Patricia McGovern of Lancaster, Pa. in 1952.

Luft, Robert von der.
Drawings, 1983-1984.
18 sheets.
Address: 917 Bridle Lane, Mount Bradford, West Chester, Pa.
Collection includes three series of drawings for: Proposed porch alteration, Family room cabinets, and Family room survey.
Robert von der Luft may have been an executive for the Dupont Company.

Lukens, Fred H., 1919-1995.
Residence, 1956.
6 sheets.
Address: Not given.
Many of the drawings are called surveys. They show both the interior and exterior of the Lukens house. One drawing, labeled “Layout of Kitchen Equipment,” depicts in some detail the appearance of the kitchen.
Fred H. Lukens was a graduate of Susquehanna University, class of 1941. He pre-deceased his wife Susanne who died in 2017 in Lancaster, Pa.

McClure, Carroll. R., 1902-1985.
Kitchen wall treatment, 1961.
1 sheet.
Address: 807 Spruce Avenue, West Chester, Pa.
Sheet includes seven drawings showing plans, an elevation, and bracket details.
Dr. Carroll R. McClure specialized in eye, ear, nose, and throat medicine. He was a fellow of the International College of Surgeons and served as president of the Chester County Medical Society.

McClure, Carroll R., 1902-1985.
Plot plan, 1966-1967.
3 sheets.
Address: Church and Miner Streets, West Chester, Pa.
These three drawings show the plot of land owned by Dr. Carroll R. McClure. Two of them are credited to T. G. Colesworthy Associates, Consulting Engineers, Site Planners, Surveyors, West Chester, Pa.
Dr. Carroll R. McClure specialized in eye, ear, nose, and throat medicine. He was a fellow of the International College of Surgeons and served as president of the Chester County Medical Society.

MacGahan, John A.
Dining room addition, 1972.
5 sheets.
Address: 116 Whitford Road, Lionville, Pa.
Drawings are of various construction details for windows, door jambs, columns, cabinets, and electricity. There is also an elevation of one side of the MacGahan house.
Drawings are signed by Janet Smedley.
John A. MacGahan may have been a psychologist at the Coatesville Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Coatesville, Pa.

Maddux, Scott.
Alterations, 1963.
7 sheets.
Address: 361 Chestnut St., Coatesville, Pa.
Drawings are for plans for an apartment. Some are called preliminary studies, others are rough sketches on tracing paper.

March, Orville R., Jr.
Detail wall in family room, 1965.
1 sheet.
Address: Not given.
The wall shows a fireplace, shelves, and a closet door. It looks like the family room wall was next to a stairway.
Orville R. March, Jr. was a charter member and one-time president of the Westtown Goshen Rotary Club, which was formed in 1975.

March, Orville R., Jr.
House lot no. one, 1978.
3 sheets.
Address: Lucky Hill Road, West Chester, Pa.
Includes an exterior front elevation, a drawing of the room layout of the house, and fireplace mantel details.
Orville R. March, Jr. was a charter member and one-time president of the Westtown Goshen Rotary Club, which was formed in 1975.

Martin, Carl N.
Proposed residence, 1958.
23 sheets.
Address: Pine Creek Farm Property, Paoli, Pa.
Includes multiple versions of schemes for a single family dwelling, elevations from different directions, and floor plans for the basement and first and second floors. Also includes a lengthy list of instructions to bidders.

Martin, Roberta.
Proposed residence, 1966.
2 sheets.
Address: Uwchlan Township, Chester Springs, Pa.
One sheet shows the floor plan of the five-room residence, one sheet contains interior and exterior elevations.

Morton, Lois Dinney.
Residence, 1954.
4 sheets.
Address: Roslyn Development, Lot 3, West Chester, Pa.
Plans and elevations for a one-story house, showing drawings of the basement, the main floor, and the front wall of the living room. Two elevations illustrate alternative looks of the front of the house.

Moyer, Clyde T.
Residence, 1954.
5 sheets.
Address: South New Street Road, West Chester, Pa.
Three sheets have floor plans for the basement and first and second floors; one sheet shows the front and east elevations; and one sheet contains south and west elevations, together with details of the placement of kitchen equipment.

Myers, Walter D.
Addition to residence, 1981-1982.
6 sheets.
Address: 839 Sugars Bridge Road, West Chester, Pa.
Includes elevations from the north, east, and south; drawings showing details of a fireplace; and lower and upper level floor plans.

Neff, M[artin]. H.
Barn, 1960-1961.
15 sheets.
Address: Fox Den, Harmony Hill Road, RD2, Downingtown, Pa.
Drawings feature exterior elevations and construction details. They document the renovation of a barn into a venue for displaying antiques (a showroom and office on the first floor) and a three room apartment plus bath, identified as quarters for servants, on the second floor.
Dr. Martin H. Neff, 1901-1993, was a physician in Downingtown, Pa. He began his practice, which was mostly located on Lancaster Avenue, in 1929.

O’Neal, John A.
Renovation of mushroom bld’g, 1983.
3 sheets.
Address: RD #4, Coatesville, Pa.
A project to transform a mushroom building into a stable to accommodate four horses.
Collection shows elevations from various directions, details of the new horse stalls and tack room, a foundation plan, and particulars about framing rafters.

Parry, William E.
Proposed residence, 1979.
1 sheet.
Address: RD #3, Oxford, Pa.
An elevation showing the front of the house, together with the floor plan for the 2,700 square foot residence.

Platt, Robert K.
Addition to residence, 1961
4 sheets.
Address: 48 East Penn Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.

Porco, Nicholas A.
Alterations to barn, undated.
4 sheets.
Address: 600 Brookhill Road, West Whiteland Township, Pa.
Includes plans for turning a barn into a residence, including drawings for the lower level and first and second floors, plus elevations from the north (the entrance side), east, south, and west.
For some details, see page 4 of the West Whiteland Township newsletter, Fall 2015: https://www.westwhiteland.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/52: “Davis Dairy Farm Springhouse sits beside Samuel Road across the street from Sunset Grove Park. Originally built in the nineteenth century, the spacious springhouse functioned as the “refrigerator” for the milk and milk products produced at the Davis Dairy Farm. When farming became no longer viable, the property was subdivided. The barn was bought by Michele and Nick Porco, who with great vision, incredible craftsmanship and steadfast belief in the preservation of historic places, rehabilitated the barn into their home. Mr. Porco used his skills as a stone mason and builder to completely restore the springhouse from its dangerously deteriorated condition. It appears today as an excellent historic example and as a great tribute to its dedicated owners.”

Potter, L. Wallace.
Addition to residence, 1952, 1960.
6 sheets.
Address: 504 Story Road, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Floor plans and elevations showing options for additions to the Potter residence.
The 1952 drawing was done by J. C. Sorber.

Reynolds, Barclay.
Plan for house, undated.
2 sheets.
Address: Not given.
Two rough sketches for the first and second floors of a house owned by Susan and Barclay Reynolds.

Rhumsey, Mary A.
Proposed house, 1981.
4 sheets.
Address: Street Road, Chester County, Pa.
Drawings show floor plans, elevations, cross-sections. There are also door and window schedules and details for an entry post, fireplace foundation, and cornice.

Ricci, Anthony J.
Proposed apartment building. 1965
3 sheets.
Address: 36 West Lancaster Avenue, Downingtown.
Three sheets stapled together showing the foundation and footing of an apartment building, its first and second floor, and elevations from the north, east, south, and west.
Also includes a certificate relating to fire and panic building regulations.
Dr. Anthony J. Ricci was a dentist who lived and practiced in Downingtown, Pa. and who had a vacation house in Avalon, NJ. Born in Easton, Pa., he received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Lafayette College and then attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. In Downingtown, Dr. Ricci belonged to a number of clubs, including the Amphibious Order of Frogs, St. Anthony’s Lodge, and the Whitford Country Club. Dr. Ricci served with the United States Army Dental Corps in the late 1950s, attaining the rank of Major. He was released from active duty in February 1957. In the armed services, Dr. Ricci served as chief of the prosthetic section of the Sandia Base Army Hospital, Albuquerque, NM, and in 1956, he completed the prosthodontics course offered at Letterman Army Hospital. In 1946, Dr. Ricci married Grace Hutchison Yost. He died, age 99, on September 21, 2017.

Ricci, Anthony J.
Residence for Dr. & Mrs. Anthony J. Ricci. 1958.
14 sheets.
Address: Colebrook Farm Homesites, East Caln Township, Pa.
Includes floor plans, elevations, depictions of architectural details (interior doors, wall sections, eave details, etc.), a finish schedule, electric symbols, etc.
In addition to the East Caln drawings, there are two others headed Proposed Residence … 229 East Lancaster Ave., Downingtown, Chester County, Penna.
Dr. Anthony J. Ricci was a dentist who lived and practiced in Downingtown, Pa. and who had a vacation house in Avalon, NJ. Born in Easton, Pa., he received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Lafayette College and then attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. In Downingtown, Dr. Ricci belonged to a number of clubs, including the Amphibious Order of Frogs, St. Anthony’s Lodge, and the Whitford Country Club. Dr. Ricci served with the United States Army Dental Corps in the late 1950s, attaining the rank of Major. He was released from active duty in February 1957. In the armed services, Dr. Ricci served as chief of the prosthetic section of the Sandia Base Army Hospital, Albuquerque, NM, and in 1956, he completed the prosthodontics course offered at Letterman Army Hospital. In 1946, Dr. Ricci married Grace Hutchison Yost. He died, age 99, on September 21, 2017.

Ricci, Anthony J.
Shore house alteration, 1964.
1 sheet.
Address: Avalon, NJ.
Pencil drawings on one sheet depicting the house’s lower level floor plan, an outside elevation, and framing details.
Dr. Anthony J. Ricci was a dentist who lived and practiced in Downingtown, Pa. and who had a vacation house in Avalon, NJ. Born in Easton, Pa., he received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Lafayette College and then attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. In Downingtown, Dr. Ricci belonged to a number of clubs, including the Amphibious Order of Frogs, St. Anthony’s Lodge, and the Whitford Country Club. Dr. Ricci served with the United States Army Dental Corps in the late 1950s, attaining the rank of Major. He was released from active duty in February 1957. In the armed services, Dr. Ricci served as chief of the prosthetic section of the Sandia Base Army Hospital, Albuquerque, NM, and in 1956, he completed the prosthodontics course offered at Letterman Army Hospital. In 1946, Dr. Ricci married Grace Hutchison Yost. He died, age 99, on September 21, 2017.

Rile, James A.
Alterations to cabin, 1979.
1 sheet.
Address: Box 173, Sumneytown, Marlborough Township, Pa.
Includes two floor plans for the lower level of the cabin, including two alternatives for the rear of the level, a window schedule, a drawing of the bathroom vanity, and a chart of electric symbols.
Sheet is labeled number two, which suggests there is also a number one, but it is not present.

Robbins, Theo.
Proposed addition, 1963.
1 sheet.
Address: 1315 Lenape Road, Lenape, Pa.
Drawing shows the front of the house as well as the doors of a three-bay garage.

Rudolph, Harold M.
Residence, 1953.
2 sheets.
Address: East Goshen Township, Chester County, Pa.
One sheet shows floor plans of Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph’s house, and the other sheet includes elevations and a cross-section.

Scarlett & Sinclair.
Preliminary study of house, 1957.
2 sheets.
Address: East Marlborough Township, Pa.
The house was to be constructed on property owned by Scarlett & Sinclair.
One sheet contains elevations from three different directions and floor plans for the lower and upper levels of the house. The other sheet is a plan of the Scarlett & Sinclair property, which was situated along Route 82 in Unionville, Pa.
Joseph H. Polley is listed as the contractor.

Scattergood, Mrs. Joseph.
Drawings, 1957.
6 sheets.
Address: 418 North Matlack Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings for various projects: porch addition, existing conditions survey, living room and library survey, and interior alterations.
Mrs. Scattergood was the widow of noted West Chester, Pa. doctor Joseph Scattergood, Jr.

Schroeder, John H.
Alterations & addition to residence, 1956.
6 sheets.
Address: 5 Indian Way, Malvern, Pa.
Collection includes preliminary studies of floor plans and elevations.

Seiss, James C. and Debra Goodrich.
Interior renovations, 1984.
2 sheets.
Address: 401 West Market St., West Chester, Pa.
Includes floor plans for the first to third levels, as well as illustrations for such details as kitchen cabinets, stairs, walls, cornices, and mantels.
James C. Seiss and Debra Goodrich resided at 407 West Market Street, West Chester, Pa.

Shaffer, Robert.
Proposed residence, 1984.
10 sheets.
Address: 126 East Virginia Avenue, West Chester, Pa.
Includes four sheets of preliminary drawings showing floor plans and elevations plus six sheets of what are probably finished drawings. The finished drawings are of elevations, first and second floor floor plans, and interior details.
Address is also recorded as Lot #25, Radley Run, West Chester, Pa.

Silbert, Paul V.
Alterations & addition to residence, 1954.
6 sheets.
Address: Meadowbrook Lane, East Goshen Township, Pa.
Drawings are identified as Scheme A, Schemes B & C, and Scheme C. They show floor plans, an elevation of the front of the house, and landscaping suggestions.
In 1964, according to Telephone News, Paul V. Silbert celebrated his fortieth anniversary with the Bell Telephone Company.

Smith, Clarence W.
Addition to residence, 1955.
1 sheet.
Address: West Goshen Township, Pa.
The addition consisted of a den, kitchen, breezeway, and garage. Includes a chart of details for windows.

Smith, Herbert D., Jr.
Alterations & addition, 1963.
16 sheets.
Address: 12 Reservoir Road, East Goshen Township, Pa.
Includes preliminary drawings, alternate plans, floor plans, elevations from various directions, and various construction details (for example, wall, ceiling, and trim details, and door particulars).
Herbert D. Smith, Jr.’s father was the owner of T. E. Smith and Son, a household moving firm, carrier of the Daily Local News for 40 years, and a U. S. Mail delivery company. The business started in 1888 in West Chester, Pa.

Snow, Mrs. William P.
Proposed residence, 1957.
2 sheets.
Address: Birmingham Meeting, Pa.
In duplicate and labeled Preliminary Study # 1. Drawings show the front of the house and floor plans for a one-story six-room one-bath residence, plus a two-car garage.

Solar Enterprises.
Proposed residence, 1981.
5 sheets.
Address: Not given
Floor plans, elevations, and construction details of a suburban residence.
In addition to Ruth Hammond’s name, that of Ken Baxter, identified as an architect, is recorded.

Spellman, Elwood M., 1915-1993.
Proposed residence, 1968-1972.
15 sheets.
Address: North New Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings include plans for the various floors of Dr. and Mrs. Spellman’s house, depictions of interior and exterior architectural details (cornices, chair rails, cabinets, entrance details, etc.), elevations, and a site plan for adjacent properties.
Dr. Elwood M. (Ozzie) Spellman was a dentist in West Chester, Pa. He graduated from Temple University in 1938 and served in the Army during World War II in North Africa, Italy, and France. Dr. Spellman was a member of West Chester’s school board, 1951-1969, and president, 1958-1968. The board named its humanitarianism award after him. Dr. Spellman served as president of the Chester-Delaware County Dental Society, taught at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dentistry, and was secretary of the Pennsylvania Society of Dentistry for Children. He was awarded West Chester Citizen of the Year in 1967.

Stiteler, George D.
Proposed residence, 1960.
9 sheets.
Address: Westtown Township, Pa.
Includes plans for the basement and foundation, the main floor, the second floor and roof, exterior elevations, fireplace details, plus plans for scheme number two and preliminary drawings.
A George D. Stiteler was a certified public accountant who worked at Stockton Bates and Co. In 1966, he was named a partner in that Chester County, Pa. firm.

Strode, William.
Preliminary drawings, residence, 1979.
2 sheets.
Address: Birmingham Road, [West Chester, Pa.]
Basement and first floor plans of a one story, three bedroom home.

Sturzebecker, Russell L., 1916-2005
Alterations and addition, 1957.
13 sheets.
Address: 503 Owen Road, West Chester, Pa.
Collection of drawings showing elevations and architectural details of Dr. and Mrs. Sturzebecker’s house. One sheet shows kitchen equipment and details.
Dr. Russell L. Sturzebecker was chair of the Health and Physical Education Department at West Chester University for 17 years. He graduated from West Chester and was awarded his graduate degrees in education from Temple University. During World War II, he served in the Pacific Theater. Following the war he wrote a memoir of his experiences, The Roaring 20s: A History of the 312th Bomb Group. In 1971, he published Centennial of West Chester State College. Dr. Sturzebecker was also active in the United States Olympic Team.

Supplee, Theodore H.
Alterations & addition to residence, 1967.
4 sheets.
Address: North Chester Road, West Chester, Pa.
Floor plans and exterior elevations of a residence. One of the drawings is labeled pre-preliminary.
In 1959, a Theodore H. Supplee worked for The Penn-Liberty Insurance Co., East Gay Street, West Chester, Pa. His wife Corrine was at one time employed by Trans World Airways as a flight attendant.

Terrell, John.
Proposed residence, 1986.
2 sheets.
Address: 705 Old Westtown Road, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings on the two sheets illustrate the outside of a proposed house through four elevations, as well as floor plans and construction details. The home may not have been built, or if it was, it is no longer standing. In 2017, there were businesses, including a Crossfit gym, at the address.
A John Terrell was an instructor in accounting at Penn State, Brandywine campus. He graduated from Johns Hopkins, received his M.B.A. at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, and joined the faculty at Penn State in l976.

Thomson, Wilmer M.
Porch addition to residence, 1958.
2 sheets.
Address: 19 North Hill Drive, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings showing details (roof plan and elevations for the ends and rear, for example) and schematics for a porch that was “to be constructed on existing terrace floor & foundations.”
Wilmer M. Thomson worked for the Denney Tag Co for 23 years, beginning in 1923, and then became the president of the West Chester Paper Box Company.

Tigue, Phillip D.
Apartment alteration, 1969.
2 sheets.
Address: 212 East Gay Street, West Chester, Pa.
One sheet depicts the proposed floorplan of the Tigue’s three-room, one hall, one bath apartment; the other sheet shows existing conditions of the apartment and kitchen details.
Plans drawn by Ralph J. Eary and checked by Ruth M. Hammond.

Toland-Harney.
Preliminary drawings, 1952.
7 sheets
Address: Strasburg Road, West Chester, Pa.?
A stapled portfolio of seven drawings showing plans for a house, perhaps located on Strasburg Road, West Chester, Pa. Drawings depict the basement and foundation; first and second floor plans; garage details; and elevations, one of which is identified as the front elevation along Strasburg Road.

Trojan, Michael J.
Addition to residence, 1982
10 sheets.
Address: 1127 West Grove Road, West Chester, Pa.
Called schematic drawings, these 10 sheets offer a visual record of the interior and exterior of the house owned by Mr. and Mrs. Michael J. Trojan.
A Michael J. Trojan was the owner and president of Brandywine Technology Sales. He attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Unidentified residences.
Drawings, 1959-1975.
44 sheets.
Addresses: Not given
A series of drawings of an undetermined number of residences. None offer the name of the occupant or an address. Interior plans as well as elevations. Some drawings are on tissue paper, some on better quality papers. Drawings are preliminary studies, rough sketches, and finished presentations.

Waggoner, I. M.
Alterations & addition to Coach House, 1964.
7 sheets.
Address: 23 South Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
Chiefly plans and elevations for a two-story coach house renovation. Construction details for windows, heating and air conditioning, the foundation, bath fixtures, etc. Collection of drawings also includes a plot plan for the property at 23 South Church Street.
Dr. Irving Manford Waggoner received his medical degree in 1931from the University of Nebraska. During World War II, he volunteered for the medical corps of the United States Army. Attaining the rank of Major, he served in New Orleans at the Port of Embarkation Station Hospital, which he eventually commanded. In West Chester, he resided at Wilmont Mews.

Wasson, Jack.
Residence, 1958.
2 sheets.
Address: 38 Penn Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Interior plans and exterior elevations for a brick veneer three bedroom house.
In October 1965, a Jack Wasson was elected to the Board of Directors of the Philadelphia Dodge Region Dealers Association for the 1966 model year. His Dodge auto dealership was at 701 East Gay Street, West Chester, Pa.

Williams, Truxton T.
Residence, 1953-1955
27 drawings.
Address: 318 West Miner Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings detail plans for the floors of the residence of Dr. and Mrs. Williams. Also included are construction details for windows, cabinetry, a fireplace, electricity, and the foundation of the building. Elevations depict the outside of the house from various directions.
Also includes a carbon copy of “Outline of work included in contract, residence for Mr. and Mrs. Truxton T. Williams” and a map of the Williams’ property prepared by J. Vernon Keech, surveyor, West Chester, Pa.
Truxton T. Williams was a native of Pottsville, Pa. He was educated locally, and at Drexel University, he studied to be an optician. During World War II, Williams was a Merchant Marine; he later served in the Coast Guard. Professionally, Dr. Williams had optometry offices in three Pennsylvania communities: West Chester, Coatesville, and Paoli. Williams belonged to a number of West Chester service organizations and social clubs. He died in February 2009 at the age of ninety-seven.

Wood, Fred S.
Proposed apartment compound, 1965.
2 sheets.
Address: 447 North Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
One sheet is a plot plan for the proposed apartment complex, while the other sheet, called a preliminary study, depicts the layouts of six apartments.
Fred S. Wood, a resident of 601 North High Street, West Chester, Pa., was born in Bedford Hills, New York. He was a student at West Chester State Teachers College—he later served on its Board of Directors and as head of its alumni association—and furthered his education at Colgate and Princeton universities. Wood briefly taught history and English in New Jersey at Lawrenceville School and wrote a biography on Theodore Roosevelt, Roosevelt as We Knew Him; Calvin Coolidge contributed the book’s foreword. Wood worked at the Sharpless Separator Company and then founded the United Dairy Equipment Company, both in West Chester. In 1966, Wood stated that he would run for a seat in the U. S. House of Representatives, standing as a Republican, to represent Pennsylvania’s ninth congressional district, but he ultimately withdrew. A Quaker, in 1924, Wood married Roselynd Atherholt. He died, age 66, in 1967.

Wortley, Austin M.
Plans & details, garden house, 1953.
17 sheets.
Address: North Valley Road, Paoli, Pa.
Includes eight sheets of drawings of exterior elevations and details of construction (redwood siding, standing seam metal roofing, aluminum casements, etc.) for the garden house. Also includes a portfolio of nine undated drawings by West Chester, Pa. architect John R. Suydam for what appears to be the Wortley family’s main residence.
Austin M. Wortley, Jr. was born in Trenton, N.J. and graduated from Valley Forge Military Academy and Temple University. As a Marine during World War II, he served in the South Pacific. After the war, Wortley worked for the Edgcomb Steel Company and then established Penguin Industries, which manufactured such aerosol irritants as tear gas and mace. Wortley held a number of patents in the field. Wortley was active in civic affairs, serving on a number of boards and associations. He died in Savannah, Georgia, age 63, in 1985.

Yarnall, Morris H.
Residence, [ca. 1960s?]
3 sheets.
Includes unfinished drawings of the exterior of the Yarnall’s house and floor plans for the basement and first floor.
Address: Wawasset Road, Chester County, Pa.
According to the Social Security Death Index, a Morris H. Yarnall was born in 1926 and died in 2000. Eleanor A. Yarnall, widow of Morris H., died in West Chester, Pa. in November 2007.

Yeoman, Edwin L.
Residence, 1961.
3 sheets.
Address: Penn Drive, North Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Two of the drawings are labeled Residence for Dr. & Mrs. Edw. Yeoman, one is labeled Residence for Dr. & Mrs. Edwin L. Youmans.
Includes a basement plan and two copies of a first floor room plan, one of which contains handwritten notes in red ink.
Robert Jacob, 507 Story Road, North Hill, is listed as the builder of the house.
Edwin L. Youmans grew up in Estherville, Iowa, and when he graduated from high school in 1942 entered the United States Navy. After military service, he enrolled in Iowa State Teachers College and then the University of Iowa where he received his graduate degrees. After teaching and coaching in high schools in Iowa and Minnesota, Dr. Youmans joined the faculty of West Chester University to administer a newly established graduate program in its School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation. At West Chester, he coached track and field, taught graduate and undergraduate courses, and served as Dean of the School of Health and Physical Education. Dr. Youmans married Marjorie Henrich in 1943. He died, age 84, in January 2008.

SERIES II: NON-RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS

The Barclay.
[Plans], 1935 and 1961.
8 sheets.
Address: North Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
These drawings depict a building that was once a private dwelling and then served as a senior living facility.
From Wikipedia: “Barclay House, also known as the Joshua Hartshorne Estate, North Hill, and The Barclay, is a historic home located in West Chester, Chester County, Pennsylvania. The original section was built in 1866–67, and believed to have been designed by noted architect Addison Hutton (1834–1916). It was a 2 1⁄2-story, brick dwelling in the Italianate style. It was expanded to three stories with the expansion of 1935–36. Also added at that time was a three-story connecting block, three-story west block, and one-story north block. The house was also renovated in the Colonial Revival style. The north block was expanded to two stories in 1998. Also on the property is a contributing carriage house built in 1869. It was converted to a residence in 1925. It was built as a single family residence, but converted to a Quaker boarding home for the elderly in 1935-36. The boarding home closed at this location in 1997.”
Two series of drawings. The first is a portfolio of six sheets stapled together, showing elevations and floor plans for the 1935 renovations. They are credited to S. Kendrick Lichty, architect, and S. Howard Pennell, engineer. The second series, consisting of two sheets and from 1961, was probably done by Ruth Hammond. Shown are two plot plans.

Belmont Iron Works.
Blueprint drawings, 1951.
28 sheets.
Address: Comly Street (near Milnor Street) & Delaware River, 41st Ward, Philadelphia, Pa.
The Belmont Iron Works seemingly furnished metal products for the construction of a new compounding building along Philadelphia’s riverfront for the Quaker Rubber Corporation.
Drawings are labeled Anchor Bolt Plan, Roof Plan, Mezzanine Floor Plan, Sections, Column Schedule, Columns, Trusses, Bracing, Beams, and Purlins. On the back of the drawings: “Received … Connor & Gravell.”
It is unclear why these drawings are part of the Hammond archive.

Conrad E. Muhly, Inc.
Drawings, 1960.
2 sheets.
Address: 804 East Market Street, West Chester, Pa.
One drawing shows the front of the building, the other the company’s sign (Conrad E. Muhly, Inc. Plumbing Heating Industrial Supplies).
Conrad E. Muhly III (1923-2014) was the president of his namesake company, a plumbing supply business, and onetime owner of Muhly Kitchen and Bath. He was a certified kitchen designer and a certified bath designer and was noted for design innovations. Muhly was a member of the National Kitchen and Bath Association and many other associations.

Cosgrove, Paul J.
Plan of building, 1963.
2 sheets.
Address: 226-228 North Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
An elevation of the front of the building and a floor plan. The front of the building was to be used for an undefined purpose by the General Service Administration, while the back was to be vacant (“may be considered for future expansion”).
Plan submitted by Paul J. Cosgrove (1904-1976), a onetime member of West Chester’s borough council (1950-1954), civic leader, and builder.

Facciolli, Theresa A.
Alterations & addition to apartment house, 1957.
3 sheets.
Address: 127 South Walnut Street, West Chester, Pa.
Floor plans and a partial elevation of the building. Two of the drawings are labeled “Plan of Rear of House Existing Conditions” and “Diagram of Levels.”

Facciolli, Theresa A.
Alterations & addition to residence & beauty salon, 1968.
4 sheets.
Address: 43 West Barnard Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings are labeled “Plans & Large Scale Section,” “Second Floor Plan & Finish Schedule,” and “Elevations” (2 sheets).

Garrett, Donald P.
Proposed addition to Cross Country Shop, 1967.
3 sheets.
Address: Valley Creek Road, Downingtown, Pa.
Elevations and floor plans. One sheet of elevations is labeled preliminary drawings, “not to be used for construction purposes.” Another sheet notes the existence of an apartment building in addition to the shop.

Geisel, J. Clyde.
Suggested layout of two apts., 1956.
3 sheets.
Address: Strasburg Road, Marshalton, Pa.
Elevations from the west and east, together with an elevation of the front of the building. Floor plans show only one apartment. Also includes a diagram of the property.

Harowe Servo Controls, Inc.
[Drawings], 1962.
6 sheets.
Address: Westtown Road at West Chester Pike, West Chester, Pa.
Collection of drawings, mostly showing elevations of the exterior of the corporate building.

Henry, Frank.
Proposed repair garage, 1982.
2 sheets.
Address: Boot Road and Reed Street, East Caln Township. Pa.
Sheets contain elevations from various directions, a rendering of the front wall, a cross-section, and a site plan showing where the proposed garage would be in relation to an existing house on the property.

Jacob, John D.
Proposed office building for physicians & dentists, 1959.
7 sheets
Address: Between Marshall Street and Goshen Road, West Chester, Pa.
Includes a front elevation, two floor plans, and plot plans of the property where the proposed building would be constructed.
The property was owned by John D. Jacob. It is unclear if Jacob would retain its ownership if or when the medical building was built. John D. Jacob was previously involved in the founding and management of a local airport called Sky Haven. For details, see http://www.tehistory.org/hqda/html/v40/v40n2p041.html#JDJ. Additionally, the North Hill neighborhood, near West Chester, was developed by John D. Jacob who, in 1938, purchased the William P. Marshall farm and later the Abner Hoopes farm for the purpose of selling properties to home builders. Homes were primarily constructed from the 1940s through 1960s, generally on 1/2 to 1+ acre lots. See: http://www.northhillpa.org/about. John D. was related to Robert Jacob.

Jacob, Robert.
Market Place building, West Chester, Pa., 1962, 1967.
3 sheets.
Address: East Market Street, West Chester, Pa.
Two of the drawings are from 1962. They are labeled Anchor Bolt Plan and are credited to Forsythe and Stilwell, structural roof and floor systems, Philadelphia, Pa. Ruth Hammond is listed as the architect and Laurence H. Wald is the engineer. The third drawing, from 1967, is called Proposed Addition to Existing Structures.
Robert Jacob is identified as the owner of the building. He was related to John D. Jacob and lived at 507 Story Road, West Chester, Pa.

Jacob, Robert.
Proposed warehouse & showroom, 1960.
6 sheets.
Address: Market Street & Westtown Road, West Goshen Township, Pa.
Drawings include floor plans, foundation plans, elevations, and a framing plan.
Robert Jacob is identified as both the owner and builder of the warehouse and showroom. Robert was related to John D. Jacob, and he lived at 507 Story Road, West Chester, Pa.

Jacob, Robert.
Proposed West Chester health center, 1966.
1 sheet.
Address: 722 East Market Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawing shows a single-story floor plan. It is labeled both a preliminary layout and a preliminary drawing.
The owner of the property was Robert Jacob. He was related to John D. Jacob.

Kalemjian, Edwin H.
Proposed addition to office building, 1967.
1 sheet.
Address: Route 100, Lionville, Pa.
Called a preliminary issue, these drawings depict a floor plan, rear elevation, the exterior of the end of the existing building, and the addition.

Kalemjian, Edwin H.
Proposed soft ice cream shop, 1961.
9 sheets.
Address: Not given, but probably Market Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings include two schemes for the plot plan, floor and foundation plans, and elevations.

Limberger, William A., Jr.
Alterations to farm building for professional offices, 1962.
14 drawings.
Address: 1117 Birmingham Road, West Chester, Pa.
Collection of drawings chiefly shows interior room plans for a veterinarian’s workplace. Shown are spaces for an office, waiting room, examination room, cage room, storage, and a utility room. Collection also details the exterior of the building.
William A. Limberger, Jr., the son of a World War II decorated physician, graduated from West Chester High School, Franklin and Marshall College, and the veterinary school of the University of Pennsylvania. He opened his veterinary practice in July 1962 at 1117 Birmingham Road, West Chester, Pa., where he also lived. Dr. Limberger married Patricia McGovern of Lancaster, Pa. in 1952.

Nurserytime Products.
Proposed warehouse & light manufacturing building. 1968-1969.
8 sheets.
Address: Montgomery & Lincoln Avenues, West Goshen Township, Pa.
Includes designs for interior spaces in the lower and upper levels of the building; plot plans showing landscaping, lighting, and parking; and elevations.
Although it is unclear what the focus of this business was, during the 1940s and 1950s, there was a Nurserytime Products in Brooklyn, NY, that made mattresses for newborns.

Penguin Associates.
Proposed manufacturing building, 1963, 1965.
9 sheets.
Address: Pennsylvania Avenue, Malvern, Pa.
Includes details for building construction (column, foundation, and footing detail, for example), cross sections, exterior elevations, and plans for the building’s interior spaces. Among others, rooms are identified as machine shop, assembly area, grinding room, oven drying room, blending room, press room, and quality assurance area.
Other sheet titles include Smoke Product Building and Proposed Addition to Manufacturing Building.
Penguin Associates seems to have been involved in making weaponry.

Real Estate Trust Company.
Bank building blueprints, 1946-1947.
5 sheets.
Address: Southwest corner of 15th & Sansom Streets, Philadelphia, Pa.
Drawings entitled: Main Cornice Detail; Detail of Cornice, Pediment, and Pilasters; Detail Pilaster Capital Door No, 113; Interior Elevation of Windows in Main Banking Room, Detail of Radiator Recess, Detail of Chair Rail and Wood Base; and Interior Details of Windows in Main Banking Room.
Architect credited with drawings: Sydney E. Martin. Sydney Errington Martin (1883-1970) was born in Philadelphia and in 1908, received his B.S in architecture from the University of Pennsylvania. He worked in Philadelphia until his retirement in 1965.
It is unclear why these drawings are part of the Hammond archive.

Ricci, Anthony J.
Alterations & addition … for orthodontist’s office, 1976.
6 sheets.
Address: 38 West Lancaster Avenue, Downingtown, Pa.
Drawings record the appearance and details of a one-story office building. Shown are floor plans, elevations from various directions, the lighting plan, painting suggestions, and other particulars.
Dr. Anthony J. Ricci was a dentist who lived and practiced in Downingtown, Pa. and who had a vacation house in Avalon, NJ. Born in Easton, Pa., he received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Lafayette College and then attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. In Downingtown, Dr. Ricci belonged to a number of clubs, including the Amphibious Order of Frogs, St. Anthony’s Lodge, and the Whitford Country Club. Dr. Ricci served with the United States Army Dental Corps in the late 1950s, attaining the rank of Major. He was released from active duty in February 1957. In the armed services, Dr. Ricci served as chief of the prosthetic section of the Sandia Base Army Hospital, Albuquerque, NM, and in 1956, he completed the prosthodontics course offered at Letterman Army Hospital. In 1946, Dr. Ricci married Grace Hutchison Yost. He died, age 99, on September 21, 2017.

Schriver Bros.
Proposed equipment storage garage, 1978.
2 sheets.
Address: RD#1, Box 330, Glenmoore, Pa.
Interior and exterior details, especially for outside walls. Includes two rooms for equipment storage and another storage room.
It is unclear what business the Schriver Brothers pursued.

Schuster, Shaffer, Palma & Dougherty.
Alterations to office building, 1983-1984.
6 sheets.
Address: 107 South Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
Collection of drawings detailing the inside and outside of a building used by a law firm.
Some of the drawings are labeled Addition to office building.

Seiden, Mollyann.
Proposed alterations & addition, 1967.
9 sheets.
Address: 18 Wilmot Mews, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings show exterior elevations and rooms for a doctor’s office (probably a dentist), including two operatories, a waiting room, laboratory, and office
A Mollyann B. Seiden, born in 1933, died in 2016 in Boca Raton, Fla. A 1963 court case whose plaintiff was listed as Dr. Molly Ann Seiden, a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania school of dentistry, related to her being able to practice dentistry in the state of Delaware.

Smith, Ralph G.
Sketch no. 1 proposed van center, 1955.
1 sheet.
Address: 239 East Market Street, [West Chester, Pa.?]
Drawings of a two-story building showing a room for tractor storage and repair, areas labeled wash and grease, offices, and a stock room. Two upstairs rooms are called dormitory and one room is a lounge.

Sumner, Robert L.
Existing porch enclosure to enlarge dental office, 1979.
4 sheets.
Address: 225 West Miner Street, West Chester, Pa.
In addition to documenting porch construction work, these architectural drawings picture the spaces of a dentist’s office. Another drawing depicts the layout of four apartments on the second floor of Dr. Sumner’s building.
Robert L. Sumner grew up in Oxford Heights, Pa. He graduated from Oxford High School, then attended Eastern Nazarene College, Boston, and the University of Maryland before receiving his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree at Temple University in 1960. He married Pauline Shepherd, also of Oxford, in 1953.

Williams, Truxton T.
Alterations to interior of building, 1956.
6 sheets.
Address: 27 South Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings show plans for an optician’s office: laboratory, office, fitting room, and waiting room.
Truxton T. Williams was a native of Pottsville, Pa. He was educated locally, and at Drexel University, he studied to be an optician. During World War II, Williams was a Merchant Marine; he later served in the Coast Guard. Professionally, Dr. Williams had optometry offices in three Pennsylvania communities: West Chester, Coatesville, and Paoli. Williams belonged to a number of West Chester service organizations and social clubs. He died in February 2009 at the age of ninety-seven.

SERIES III: DEVELOPMENTS

Plans for 4 developments, 1951-1956.

Oak Hill development, West Goshen Township, Pa., 1951.
1 sheet
Lewis S. Hickman, Jr. was the owner. In 1943, Hickman, the owner of a school bus company, purchased land that he intended to use for grazing livestock. According to an article from November 15, 1943 in the Daily Local News, published in West Chester, Pa., “The frontage on the Wilmington pike may be cut into small holdings of two and three acres for private residences, these to be built after the war is ended … .” Hickman also purchased land near Coatesville, Pa. and Mortonville, Pa. In the 1950s, there was a Hickman Development Corporation.
Shown are plots for houses, together with mention of roads surrounding and in the development and notes about Oaklands Cemetery. A nearby Catholic cemetery is sited.

Sunset Grove lot development, West Whiteland Township, Pa., 1956.
1 sheet.
Lewis S. Hickman, Jr., was the owner. In 1943, Hickman, the owner of a school bus company, purchased land that he intended to use for grazing livestock. According to an article from November 15, 1943 in the Daily Local News, published in West Chester, Pa., “The frontage on the Wilmington pike may be cut into small holdings of two and three acres for private residences, these to be built after the war is ended … .” Hickman also purchased land near Coatesville, Pa. and Mortonville, Pa. In the 1950s, there was a Hickman Development Corporation.
Shown are plots for houses, together with mention of roads surrounding and in the development. Names of the owners of bordering property are included (Amelia Samuel, Everett Hoopes, E. A. Sundstrom, etc.)

Whiteland Hills, West Whiteland Township, Pa., 1952-1955.
2 sheets.
Lewis S. Hickman, Jr., was the owner. In 1943, Hickman, the owner of a school bus company, purchased land that he intended to use for grazing livestock. According to an article from November 15, 1943 in the Daily Local News, published in West Chester, Pa., “The frontage on the Wilmington pike may be cut into small holdings of two and three acres for private residences, these to be built after the war is ended … .” Hickman also purchased land near Coatesville, Pa. and Mortonville, Pa. In the 1950s, there was a Hickman Development Corporation.
Shown are plots for houses, together with mention of roads surrounding and in the development. Names of the owners of bordering property are included (Clara Ginsemer, Walter C. Fetters, Thomas McKelvey, etc.)

Whitford Hills, West Whiteland Township, Pa., 1954.
1 sheet.
Developed by Towne and Country Real Estate. Shown are plots for houses, together with mention of roads surrounding and in the development.

Clark, William G., builder
Ranch house, 1958.
2 sheets.
Address: Pennsbury Hills, Pennsbury Township, Pa.
Two sheets, one labeled Plans, the other Elevations & Detail.
William G. Clark was also located in Pennsbury Hills, Pa.

Clark, William G. & Sons, builder.
Ranch house, 1956.
5 sheets.
Address: Pennsbury Hills, Pa.
Plans and elevations for a six-room, one-bath house with a car porch. Details include information on the electric system, roofing, sewage system, and plans for framing ceilings and the roof.
William G. Clark & Sons was located on Brinton’s Bridge Road, Chadds Ford, Pa.

Dunlap, Harold M., builder & developer.
Oak-A rancher, 1955.
8 sheets.
Address: Glenmoore, RD1, Chester County, Pa.
Elevations and floor plans. Additionally, construction details for such things as where to use bricks or concrete, window and door schedules, headroom for stairs, kitchen particulars, ceiling and roof framing, and a footing-foundation plan.
Also includes a plot plan which shows property lines, where the house was situated on the property, and the sewage disposal system.

Dunlap, Harold M., builder.
Proposed house, 1955.
3 sheets.
Address: Glenmore Road #1, Chester County, Pa.
Floor plans and elevations, referred to as preliminary studies, for a five-room, one-bath house with a car porch.
The owner of the house is not identified.
Ruth Hammond identifies herself as an architectural designer.

Hickman Development Corp.
Car port alternate; split level house, 1956.
1 sheet.
Address: 1111 Delaware Avenue, Oak Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Although titled Car port alternative, this single sheet includes an elevation of the split-level house, drawings of the house’s dining room and kitchen, and a foundation plan.
It is unclear if the house depicted was at 1111 Delaware Avenue or if the development company was located there.

Hickman Development Corp.
Colonial Two Story House, 1962.
4 sheets.
Address: 111 Delaware Avenue, Oak Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Basement, first, and second floor plans, together with elevations. Also includes “Sketch Z,” which illustrates an alternate for a breezeway and garage.
It is unclear if the house depicted was at 111 Delaware Avenue or if the development company was located there.

Hickman Development Corp.
Ranch house, 1956.
9 sheets.
Address: 1111 Delaware Avenue, Oak Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Floor plans and elevations from various directions; also details for windows, wall construction, carpool posts, stairs, and the heating system. Additionally, collection includes a plot plan.
It is unclear if the house depicted was at 1111 Delaware Avenue or if the development company was located there. Possibly the developer was at Sunset Grove.

S. N. C. Construction Corporation.
Ranch house, 1955.
3 sheets.
Address: Oak Grove Development.
Two of the sheets, labeled 1 and 1A, contain options for floor plans. The third sheet shows elevations and “kitchen details & data.”
“Exterior treatment (use of materials) will vary in different houses … Other materials–asbestos siding, shingles—different color combinations & wood beveled siding.”
S. N. C. Construction Corporation was located on East Lancaster Avenue, Paoli, Pa.

S. N. C. Construction Corporation.
Split level house, 1955.
13 sheets.
Address: Paoli Gardens, Willistown Township, Pa.
Floor plans for three levels, including more than one option; elevations from various directions; and construction details (ceiling and roof framing, sewage disposal equipment, headroom on stairs, ceiling heights, crawl space plan, etc.)
S. N. C. Construction Corporation was located on East Lancaster Avenue, Paoli, Pa.

Thornbury Corporation.
Five bedroom split level house, 1962.
3 sheets.
Address: 111 Delaware Avenue, Oak Hill, West Chester, Pa.
Sheets are labeled: Floor Plans (lower levels and upper level); Front & Left Side Elev’s & 4th Level; Rear & Right End Elevations.
It is unclear if the house depicted was at 111 Delaware Avenue or if Thornbury Corp. was located there.

Thornbury Corporation.
Ranch house with carport, 1963.
3 sheets.
Address: Greenbriar, Peck Road, Uchlan Township, Pa.
A six-room, two bathroom house with an attached carport.
Drawings are labeled Plans, Elevations, and Details (kitchen details, basement stair detail, fireplace detail, “Section A-A,” “Cross Section B-B”).
The location of Thornbury Corporation is listed as 111 Delaware Avenue, West Chester, Pa.

Thornbury Corporation.
Split level—3 bedrooms, 1963.
2 sheets.
Address: Greenbriar, Peck Road, Uchlan Township, Pa.
One sheet contains floor plans for the lower level and crawl space, as well as the upper two levels. The other sheet contains elevations from different directions. Details show the placement of kitchen equipment and a two-bath arrangement option for one of the upper levels.
The location of Thornbury Corporation is listed as 111 Delaware Avenue, West Chester, Pa.

Towne & Country Real Estate.
House No. 1, 1954.
4 sheets.
Address: Not given.
Four sheets stapled together showing floor plans and elevations for a one-story house without a basement. Construction details cover electricity; use of concrete, brick, or stone; and kinds of shingles.
Towne & Country Real Estate was located at 20 East Market St., West Chester, Pa.

Towne & Country Real Estate.
Residence for Mr. and Mrs. Frank B. Anderson, 1954.
1 sheet.
Address: Kennett Square, Pa.
Includes a basement and foundation plan; plus a floor plan for a six room, one bath, one story house.
Someone named Frank B. Anderson was a farmer in Pocopson Township, Pa., close to Kennett Square. He died in 1968, aged 81. His wife was named Florence.
Towne & Country Real Estate was located at 20 East Market St., West Chester, Pa.

Towne & Country Real Estate.
Two level house, 1950s?
4 sheets.
Address: not given.
Elevations and floor plans for a basement and two floors of a split-level house with carport.
Towne & Country Real Estate was located at 20 East Market St., West Chester, Pa.

SERIES IV: MISCELLANEOUS BUILDINGS

Chester County Girl Scout Council.
Alterations & addition to office building, 1961.
3 sheets.
Address: 14 South Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
Includes elevations from different directions and plans of the first and second floors. Also, construction details (use of concrete as opposed to brick, for example), room and door schedules, and notes about electric symbols.

Chester County Historical Society.
Proposed cabinets for Chester County Historical Society shop, 1987.
2 sheets.
Address: 225 North High Street, West Chester, Pa.
Includes depictions of cabinet and shelf details, as well as drawings of a cornice, cabinet door panel, and cabinet base. Also, a floor plan of the shop. One of the drawings states that it had been revised in 1988.

East Bradford Township. Pa.
Vehicle storage garage & road materials storage shed, 1975.
1 sheet.
Address: East Bradford Township, Pa.
Drawings show an elevation of the building from the front and a floor plan. The materials storage was on the left, the garage on the right. In between were an office, restroom, and a space for the building’s heater.

Fame Fire Company No. 3.
Proposed fire station, 1967-1973.
33 sheets.
Address: 29 East Market St., West Chester, Pa. Other addresses listed, all in West Chester, include West Washington Street, East Market Street, Matlack Street and Rosedale Avenue, and South Matlack & Rosemount Avenue.
Drawings show plans for a building for an active fire company and include plot plans, interior spaces of the firehouse, and exterior elevations. There are also details for stairs, the kitchen, the foundation, the electrical system, heating and cooling, cabinetry, and plumbing.
The Fame Fire Company No. 3 is one of three volunteer fire companies that make up the West Chester Fire Department.

Freedom Valley Girl Scout Council.
Camp Kiwanis, 1965, 1966, 1977.
33 sheets.
Address: Montgomery County, Pa.
Buildings documented by drawings include the kitchen, dining hall, swimming pool, activities building, and the ranger’s house. There is also a site plan. Some of the drawings are rough sketches on tracing paper, others are finished architectural renderings. The images in the drawings resemble depictions for the organization’s Camp Tweedale.
Camp Kiwanis was located in Montgomery County, Pa. Specific addresses listed include Schwenksville and Obelisk, Pa. It is now closed.

Freedom Valley Girl Scout Council.
Camp Tweedale, 1964, 1977.
12 sheets.
Address: Lower Oxford, Pa.
Includes drawings documenting the site of the camp, a building called the infirmary-troop house, a bulletin board at the swimming pool, and a sodding proposal. The images in the drawings resemble depictions for the organization’s Camp Kiwanis.
Camp Tweedale was located on 108 acres near the Octorara Reservoir. It closed in 2015.
Freedom Valley Girl Scout Council was at 1106 West Main Street, Norristown, Pa.

Goshen Baptist Church.
Proposed church & church school building, 1965-1969.
25 sheets.
Address: East Goshen Township, Pa.
Drawings include a variety of depictions, including site plans, construction details (for stairs and steeple support, for example), exterior elevations, room plans for the lower and upper level of the school building, and plans for the sanctuary.

Hibernia Methodist Church.
Proposed church school, 1963-1967.
39 sheets.
Address: West Brandywine Township, Pa.
Most of the drawings are labeled Proposed Church School for Hibernia Methodist Church and include interior and exterior illustrations. However, some drawings are called Proposed Education Wing, Proposed Church, Plot Plan, Proposed Plan: Church & Church School, and Site Development. The drawings are mostly finished architectural depictions; there are few informal sketches or preliminary studies.
Construction particulars explained through drawings: electrical layout, porch detail, foundation and footing, floor plans, the church spire, heating layout, cabinet details, etc.

Kesher Israel.
[Drawings], 1974.
1 sheet.
Address: 206 North Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
On this single sheet are illustrations of the main room of the synagogue and a view from above called “Plan at Bima” [sic.].

Loggia Goffredo Mameli.
Building, 1948.
7 sheets.
Address: 28 Chester Avenue, Coatesville, Pa.
Blueprints showing construction details and elevations for the building owned and used by Loggia Goffredo Mameli, a Sons of Italy club.
Malcolm Pownall is noted as the registered architect, Coatesville, Pa. Ruth Hammond seems not to have been associated with the drawings, though they are in her collection.
Loggia Goffredo Mameli, Order Sons of Italy, was organized on July 6, 1913 and incorporated one month later on August 10. Its founders were Gioacchino Cotone, Frank Rambo, and Frank Pettineo. The LGM building, based on these plans, was constructed in 1949. Before having a building of its own, the club met at various sites in Coatesville. Images of the building are included in Coatesville, by Karol Collins, published by Arcadia Pub. in 2015 as part of its series Images of America.

Manley Convalescent Home.
[Building], 1956-1989.
6 sheets.
Address: 530 Maple Avenue, West Goshen Township, Pa.
Includes a plot plan, drawings for basement alterations and an addition to the main building, and depictions of existing conditions.
The home was owned and operated by Elizabeth Ann Manley, who began working in her family’s nursing home at an early age. When she was 18, she assumed management responsibilities after her mother died. Infirmities led to Manley’s early retirement. She continued to live in Chester County until 2008 when she moved to Lancaster County. Manley died on July 6, 2016, aged eighty-four.

Miscellaneous—1.
Drawings, 1950s-1970s.
40 sheets.
Address: Various.
Presumably filed in one folder by Ruth Hammond or her office staff, these drawings and notes reflect architectural work on a number of commissions. All but a handful display interior spaces for houses and apartments. Also included are a topographical plan, a zoning map, and roofing plans.
Names recorded on these drawings include Sally W. Conrey, Uwchlan Township, Pa.; Dr. Elwood Spellman; Stanley E. Malin, Tredyffrin Township, Pa.; Lancaster Welded Products, Lancaster, Pa.; and the Township of East Bradford.
Also includes a series of printed plans published by the Douglas Fir Plywood Association, Tacoma, Washington, in 1963, entitled Fir Plywood Leisure-time Cabins and what looks like a facsimile copy of a pencil drawing or rubbing of ornamental decoration, signed Louis H. Sullivan [?], Oct. 28th 1922.

Miscellaneous—2.
Drawings, 1950s-1960s.
39 sheets.
Address: Various.
Presumably filed in one folder by Ruth Hammond or her office staff, these drawings and notes reflect architectural work on a number of commissions. Some of the drawings are rough pencil sketches, some are finished architectural renderings. The drawings show offices, a showroom, one or two churches, a commercial garage, possibly a doctor’s office, and possibly a floor plan for a pharmacy. Only one drawing relates to a residence; it is captioned apartment door. There are no names recorded on the drawings.

Mitman, William H.
Alterations to interior, 1962, 1979.
22 sheets.
Address: 111 South Church Street, West Chester, Pa.
Elevations and interior plans for a mixed use building in downtown West Chester, Pa., most likely a single residence when it was originally constructed. The first floor contains a business with space for three offices and a reception room, and on the second and third floors, there were up to four apartments.
While information on William H. Mitman is scarce, during the early 21st century (at least in 2018), William H. Mitman, Jr. practiced law from this building.

Mt. Carmel Church of God in Christ.
[Drawings], 1980.
12 sheets.
Address: East Miner Street, West Chester, Pa.
A set of drawings that in some detail depicts the outside and inside of a downtown West Chester church. Includes variations showing the front of the church, floor plans of the lower level and sanctuary, foundation plans, and construction details.
Many of the drawings were executed by R. I. Michaels, presumably a member of Ruth Hammond’s staff.

Musante, Marie.
Alterations, 1961.
19 sheets
Address: 37 West Market Street, West Chester, Pa.
Drawings record floor plans and architectural details of a mixed use three-story building in downtown West Chester, Pa. The two upper floors include living space, while the first floor shows rooms for a business or businesses. Also includes elevations, surveys, and a cross-section drawing.
Work completed for Miss Marie and Mr. Thomas Musante.
The building at 37 West Market Street, West Chester, Pa., was probably constructed during the last quarter of the 19th century and was designed in the Italianate style. It includes living quarters on the upper floors and commercial space on the ground level. Various businesses have occupied the first floor since the 1800s: William Reid and Sons, seeds (1885-1890); Darlington and Patterson, grocers (1907); B. Darlington Grocery (1915); West Chester Army and Navy Store (1923); C, J, Duffy, optician (1968); and the Chester County’s coroner’s office in the late 20th century.

Po-Mar-Lin Firehouse.
Proposed addition, 1967.
5 sheets.
Address: Unionville, Pa.
Plans and elevations. Specifics mentioned are emergency lighting, kitchen and adjacent area plans, plumbing and electric work, and cabinetry.

Ricci, Anthony J.
Preliminary studies: 2 apartments, 2 professional offices, 1964-1967.
4 sheets.
Address: 36 West Lancaster Avenue, Downingtown, Pa.
Includes elevations and floor plans for a two-story building designed for residential and doctor’s use.
Dr. Anthony J. Ricci was a dentist who lived and practiced in Downingtown, Pa. and who had a vacation house in Avalon, NJ. Born in Easton, Pa., he received his undergraduate degree in chemistry from Lafayette College and then attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine. In Downingtown, Dr. Ricci belonged to a number of clubs, including the Amphibious Order of Frogs, St. Anthony’s Lodge, and the Whitford Country Club. Dr. Ricci served with the United States Army Dental Corps in the late 1950s, attaining the rank of Major. He was released from active duty in February 1957. In the armed services, Dr. Ricci served as chief of the prosthetic section of the Sandia Base Army Hospital, Albuquerque, NM, and in 1956, he completed the prosthodontics course offered at Letterman Army Hospital. In 1946, Dr. Ricci married Grace Hutchison Yost. He died, age 99, on September 21, 2017.

Romansville Methodist Church.
[Drawings], 1962-1965.
30 sheets.
Address: 1859 West Strasburg Road, West Bradford Township, Pa.
Includes a variety of drawings and plans, including topographical surveys, informal pencil and formal ink depictions, preliminary studies, a site drawing for a proposed Sunday School building, exterior views (one in color) showing elevations from different directions, and floor plans of different building levels.
In addition to Ruth Hammond, the firm Darmit & Hayes, consulting engineers and surveyors from Coatesville, Pa., is credited with drawings.
Over the years, the church has been called the Romansville Methodist Church, Romansville M[ethodist] E[piscopal] Church, and Romansville United Methodist Church.

Unionville Presbyterian Church.
Existing conditions, 1957.
10 sheets.
Address: Unionville, Pa.
Collection includes three large sheets containing floor plans, as well as informal sketches of the outside of the church and additional floor plans. Also, there is a small piece of paper with handwritten notes about the use of wood floor joists and the condition of the building’s shingles.
Drawings that are credited are attributed to C. Edgar Cope, a registered architect working at 31 South High Street, West Chester, Pa.

Uwchlan Township Building.
Proposed administration building & garage, 1974.
18 drawings.
Address: Whitford Road & Devon Drive, Uwchlan Township, Pa.
Plans for a single-story government building. Interior spaces for members of the police department, zoning staff, the buildings inspector, engineering personnel, township manager, treasurer, secretarial staff, and tax collector. Also men’s and women’s restrooms, storage space, a policemen’s locker room located off the police squad room, and a large meeting room. Additionally, construction details for heating, ventilating, plumbing, electric system, and foundation and footing plans. The garage is connected to offices by a walkway.

West Chester Area Municipal Authority.
Proposed office and garage building, 1979-1980.
31 drawings.
Address: Fern Hill Road and Five Points Road, West Goshen, Township, Pa.
Drawings showing a one-story long, narrow building designed for office workers and vehicle parking, floor plans, site plans, and topographical details.
Topographical maps prepared by Yerkes Associates, Exton, Pa., site planners, landscape architects, consulting engineers, and surveyors.

West Chester Community Center.
Addition & alterations, 1966-1972.
11 drawings.
Address: 501 East Miner Street, West Chester, Pa.
Includes five exterior elevations. Drawings of interior spaces indicate offices, a basketball court, exercise rooms, locker rooms, and restrooms. A property plan details the use of outside land, showing a tennis court, basketball court, swimming pool, and baseball field. A map by Yerkes Associates, Exton, Pa. (site planners, landscape architects, consulting engineers, and surveyors) notes the site’s topographical features.

West Goshen Township Building.
Proposed township building, 1964.
23 drawings.
Address: West Goshen Township, Pa.
Drawings detail particulars of interior areas, including the placement of offices, a vehicle storage area, police spaces, meeting room, etc. Also, construction details (stairs, front railings, etc.), a site plan, a room finish schedule, electrical layout, proposed heating and ventilation, and a foundation plan.
The engineer for the building was Howard D. Carlson, the architect Ruth M. Hammond, and the contractor The Curtiss Company.

Westtown Thornbury Townships, Pa.
School building for child development center, 1959.
4 sheets.
Address: 1081 Wilmington Pike, West Chester, Pa.
Sheets are labeled: Alterations, Survey—Existing Conditions, Basement Plan, and First & Second Floor Plans.

Window sill bird feeding station, 1981.
1 sheet.
Address: not given.
Plans and directions for installing a bird feeder.
Seemingly, a fugitive drawing that most likely goes with a larger group of depictions. It was originally filed with commercial buildings.