Collection Title: Chester County Federation of Women’s Clubs Records
Collection Number: 136
Dates of Collection: 1922-1977
Repository: Chester County Historical Society, West Chester, PA
Project Archivist: Margaret Miles Baillie
The Chester County Federation of Women’s Clubs was established in 1914 with members pledging to make life better for family and community along “four lines of work….Civics, Education, Legislation and Reciprocity.” The Federation was very influential in establishing many community and state projects which are common to us now.
The initial officers were President, Miss Sara R. Paiste and Secretary-Treasurer, Mrs. Florence Ivisan. There were seven clubs in the charter membership. They were: Coatesville, Kennett Square, Oxford, Malvern, Parkesburg, Phoenixville and West Chester. A club house was built in West Chester in 1914. By the early 1950s, over twenty clubs were part of the organization. In 1942, there were nineteen committees which were involved in the “four lines of work” nationally and internationally. The number and type of committees varied according to the need.
Additional information on some of the various organizations that belonged to the Federation may be found in each individual club’s scrapbooks and/or records in the collections of the Chester County Historical Society Library. Please check with the librarian to see which organizations have records at CCHS.
Folder 1: Copy of Finding Aid and articles from CCHS Clippings File.
Folder 4: Minutes and Correspondence, 1934-1950 [loose documents, bound volume]
Folder 5: Minutes and Correspondence, 1950-1962 [bound volume]
Folder 1: Committee Reports, 1922, 1925, 1937, 1938-1941. [3-ring notebook, loose papers] ( 2nd Place Award Ribbon, 1939-1940, transferred to Curatorial, 10.31.2005)
Folder 2: Committee Reports, 1942-1947. [3-ring notebook]
Folder 4: Directories 1930-1975
Folder 5: Programs, includes:
Folder 6: Various publications, includes:
Folder 7: History of Club, includes: