Collection Title: Chemical Leaman Company Collection
Collection Number: 242
Dates of Collection: 1931-1996
Repositiory: Chester County Historical Society, West Chester PA, 19380
Project Archivist: Shane Smith
The Chemical Leaman Company was based in Lionville, Chester County, Pennsylvania. It had its roots in a 1913 truck operation by B. F. Leaman and his son, Clair. They transported lime, then expanded to include milk. They further expanded into transporting fuel oil after purchasing Motor Mileage Corporation in 1930. The Leaman Transportation Company was incorporated in 1931. Chemical Leaman Tank Lines formed in 1961 after a merger of Leaman Tansportation with Chemical Tank Lines.
The Chemical Leaman Company was the result of a consolidation of Chemical Leaman Tank Lines and its various subsidiaries in 1977.
In 1998 Chemical Leaman and Montgomery Tank Lines merged with Montgomery Tank Lines to form Quality Distribution, Inc.
This collection includes Chemical Leaman Company documents including a self-published history, articles of incorporation, anniversary banners, photographs, advertisements, magazine articles, certificates, brochures, and press clippings.
Items are grouped by type and then arranged in chronological order when dates are known.
Box: History, press releases, newspaper clippings, safety award certificates, book and map of terminals, sales brochures.
1931-1934: certificates of incorporation, bylaws, equipment lease, bills of sale, articles of incorporation, assignments, agreements, stockholders’ consent, reorganization.
1965-1991: annual reports.
Oversize Folder: anniversary banners, mission statement, advertisements.